In my opinion, nothing says summer like a fresh plate of zesty tacos. Sure it’s fun to go out and have some at a restaurant, but why not try out a recipe at home and enjoy the process with your loved ones! This recipe is gluten free, dairy free and made without batter or frying, so it’s a great healthy alternative. Enjoy and feel free to share photos of your creation with us on Instagram or Facebook!
Here’s what you’ll need –
Baja Fish Tacos:
- 2 lbs. cod filets
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- optional: fresh pico de gallo
- 2 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 avocados
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
And here’s what to do!
Cilantro Lime Cabbage Slaw:
- To a large bowl, add green cabbage, purple cabbage, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, cilantro, honey, salt and pepper. Gently toss to coat and set aside.
- To a food processor add, avocado, garlic, 1/4 cup cilantro, cumin, red pepper flakes, 1.5 tablespoons of lime juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil and salt. Blend until smooth and looks like a puree or dressing. Set aside.
Baja Fish Tacos:
- To a small bowl, add 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Stir to blend everything together.
- Season both sides of cod with spice blend and gently rub in.
- Heat a large non-skillet skillet to medium high heat.
- Add avocado oil to pan once hot and immediately add season cod. Sear each side for 2-3 minutes. (the cod is done when it is still white in the center and gently flakes apart)
- Remove cod from pan and set on a plate to rest.
- To heat corn tortillas: heat a skillet to medium high heat, spray both sides of tortilla with cooking spray and cook for 1-2 minutes on either side until browned.
- Assemble Baja Fish Tacos: To one heated corn tortilla add 2 tablespoons of avocado crema, 1/3 cup slaw, 2 oz. of cod and (optional) pico de gallo.